Nnamdi Kanu’s Detention: Police, Pro-Biafra Activists Clash In Delta

Delta State Governor, Ifeanyi Okowa
Share this story.

From Ochei Matthew, Asaba
The Indigenous People of Biafra, a group clamouring for the excision of the South-East from Nigeria to form the Republic of Biafra, took its banned activities to Asaba, the Delta State capital on Friday with what they called “a peaceful protest”, which eventually turned otherwise.
Expectedly, the Delta State Police Command clamped down on the protesters, numbering over 400, with teargas and arrested some of them.
Acting police spokesman, DSP Charles Muka, told our correspondent on phone at about 3pm on Friday that he could not confirm the number of persons arrested by the police during the clampdown on the Indigenous People of Biafra.
“Well, it is true that we successfully repelled the attempt by the group to cause a breach of public peace, but I cannot tell you how many people were arrested because we are still on it”, Muka said.
He advised members of the public to go about their normal lawful business without any fear of molestation.
“We are on top of the situation, people should be free to go to the market or do any lawful business”, the police spokesman said, adding that no group had been authorised by the police to engage in a protest march in Asaba and its environs.
It was learnt that the coordinators of the group had on Wednesday gone round many areas in Asaba telling residents to stay away from the Ogbogonogo Modern Market in Asaba metropolis to express solidarity over the continued detention of the director of Radio Biafra, Mr. Nnamdi Kanu.
However, as early as 7.30am the police clashed with members of the group as the latter allegedly attempted to block the Benin-Asaba expressway around the ever-busy Summit Junction, Asaba.
Eyewitnesses said that the police fired severally into the air to scare off the pro-Biafra protesters who appeared determined to resist been forced from the point by the riot policemen.
People had initially thought that the police were probably involved in a crossfire with some armed robbers due to the sporadic shooting and many ran for cover.
However, a huge smoke from numerous teargas canisters fired by the police enveloped the whole area around the Summit Junction as far as DBS Road and Jesus Saves Street junction, forcing people to run helter-skelter and motorists making quick turn from the area at about 8.15 am.
It was then apparent that a detachment of mobile policemen were out to disperse members of the pro-Biafra group who had barricaded the strategic Benin-Agbor-Asaba-Onitsha expressway at Umunede and attempted to disrupt traffic flow on the road.
Several persons were also reportedly arrested by the mobile policemen at Umenede and Agbor area on the road.
A confirmation of the number of the pro-Biafra group members arrested by the police was still being expected as at the time of filing this report.

Share this story.


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.